Pillow Inserts Info
The purpose of this section is to equip you with helpful tips on different types of pillow inserts and their sizing.
What size inserts do I need?
It is generally recommended to buy inserts one size larger than a cover's size. For example, if your covers are 20X20, they will look fuller and better with 22X22 inserts. However, this rule can be applied to pillow covers 18X18 and larger. Based on our experience, anything smaller than that will require a pillow insert of same size or a size 1" larger if a fuller look is desired. Otherwise, your pillow will look overfilled. For example, if you are purchasing 12X18 or 16X16 pillow covers, you need to purchase pillow inserts of the same size.
Please use the following chart for guidance in deciding which size pillow insert you need:
|Pillow Cover Size||Suggested Pillow Insert Size|
|12X18||12X18 or 13X19|
|14X16||14X16 or 15X17|
|16X16||16X16 or 17X17|
The four most common pillow types are:
- Non-Woven - traditional premium poly fiber fill material composes this well-made pillow form. This type of insert is certain to fill your pillow covers to the corners with ease, and will hold the original shape after lots of use. It can be used outdoors with an outdoor case or cover.
- Poly/Cotton - made from premium poly fiber fill and are defined with a woven-fabric poly/cotton blend outer shell. A good option for those who suffer from allergies and reasonably priced, these pillows remain a popular option for household and commercial use. You can depend on these Poly Cotton pillows for great comfort that promises not to break the bank, and you’ll feel great knowing that your family members and guests are free from the worries of allergies or asthma triggers that can be associated with other pillow batting materials.
- Faux Down - These pillow inserts are softer than those made from traditional poly-fill batting. They are made to please those who want all the softness of a real down pillow without the problem of allergies that are often associated with pillows made from feathers and down.
Down pillows are usually filled with a combination of duck feathers and goose down for a soft and luxurious feel that is certain to spoil those that enjoy its use. Super soft and always a favorite among those who appreciate the finer things, these pillows are among the best available on the market and add a richness and warmth to any room where they are placed.
Choosing the type of insert is a matter of preference. Please use the following guidance:
- Faux Down fill is made of synthetic or natural fibers, which mimic the luxurious loft of down. And yes, if you like a "karate chop" look, you can have it with a faux down pillow.
- Faux down pillow will conform to your shape. It offers more softness than support.
- If you suffer from allergies, all three types of pillows we offer are an excellent choice.
- Both Poly/Cotton and Non-Woven pillows are more firm than Faux Down. So if you are looking for more support, Poly/Cotton pillow or a Non-Woven one would be a better choice then faux down.
- Poly/Cotton and Non-Woven pillows retain their shape better. No need to "plump up".
Where to buy pillow inserts?
1) Pillowflex: here you will find several different types of pillow inserts in a variety of sizes.
2) This Etsy listing has the best price you can find for a pair of faux down pillow inserts, and the quality is wonderful too based on our experience.